The Renaissance Choir is offering choral bursaries to younger singers
We love choral singing. We want future generations to enjoy it too. For this reason, we run an annual bursary scheme for young singers.
We’re a small amateur choir and sing mostly unaccompanied music in up to 16 parts, so every voice counts and it’s important that you can hold a vocal line with confidence. On the other hand, it’s important that your voice can blend. We also ask for voices with a pure tone and no wobble/vibrato. Regular rehearsal attendance is a priority and we ask members to do some homework each week so we can spend rehearsals on interpretation rather than ‘note-bashing’.
Our choral bursary scheme is ideal for aspiring young singers wishing to develop their choral singing within a highly accomplished chamber choir.
One bursary is awarded each September and it lasts for one year, although an application can be renewed for one consecutive year. Auditions are held in July and August.
These bursaries are open to people aged from 18 to 25 who live within a 25-mile radius of Emsworth, Hampshire.
As an applicant, we would expect you to:
• Participate in concerts.
• Be a good sight singer (ideally equivalent to ABRSM Grade V).
• Be able to hold the correct musical line confidently.
• Show an interest in the vision of the choir, which puts the music of the Renaissance period at the heart of its repertoire.
• Show dedication to high-quality musical performance by practising when necessary in your own time.
• Be willing to perform solo/semi-chorus parts, where appropriate, as well as to be a team player and to be able to blend.
• Be prepared to attend all termly Friday evening rehearsals and pre-performance rehearsals, agreeing any reasonable absences with the Musical Director.
• Pay your own transport costs to and from rehearsals and concerts.
In return, the choir will:
• Pay you £500 over the course of the 12-month period, payable pro-rata quarterly in arrears.
• Waive all choir membership fees (currently £135 p.a.).
• Provide on loan all necessary sheet music free of charge.
• Provide opportunities for singing solo/semi-chorus parts if appropriate.
• Provide you with singing-related mentoring if appropriate.
• Provide positive supportive references or personal recommendations if appropriate.
If you are interested in this scheme, please do get in touch with a few details about your voice type and an outline of your experience. We may then invite you to a brief interview and audition. If there is a suitable vacancy, and you are successful, you will then be asked to attend a rehearsal before we make you any offer.
Please note that although the bursary runs from September, you can apply for an audition at any time. We look forward to hearing from you!
Hear what our members think about us – video from June 2022.